Thursday, April 5, 2012

What Are the Desires of Your Heart?

I have noticed so many times in my life especially when I am trying to be totally sold out or committed to something I catch myself saying, "Lord, you know the desires of my heart, so please help me!" It's like I know deep down in my heart what I want but I know I'm going to fail at doing it over and over again. It really comes down to that big word that I have such a hard time with ~ COMMITMENT!!!
Do you know how many times I have tried to make a commitment to something and have quit along the way!! I know you probably don't have this problem, but I think if we were all honest with ourselves we would have to say that being totally committed to something can be very hard.
I would have to say that over these last couple of weeks God has really been trying to teach me something about the word Commitment. Maybe it's because He really does know the desires of my heart and what I long for in my life.
Commitment demands a choice!! I can either choose to stay the way I am or I can be committed to change! Now of course my desire is to change, but somewhere along the way I choose to quit or give up. I can hear that little voice in my head saying, No, Don't quit ~ You can do this girlfriend!!! Stay strong!! But then that little devil that sits on my shoulder cuts the rope that I'm hanging on to and I fall flat on my face. I realize commitment is a life-time venture, requiring time (of course we make the time for what we really want), it's also work and determination.
For instance, in some areas of my life I am determined to be committed!! My marriage to my husband is something I am very committed to. God gave him to me and I made the vow to him almost 29 years ago to be with him until death do us part. Marriage is a BIG commitment!! and sometimes it takes A LOT of determination to stay committed. Matthew 19:6 ~ So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no man (or woman) separate.
Marriage takes a lot of work, it's not a 50/50 thing ~ it is a 100/100 commitment to each other. I can honestly say that our marriage has taken some rough hits within these last couple of years. Satan has tried his best to destroy our marriage and family. I have gone through some very deep pain and hurt and have come very close to giving up on our marriage. When you are in the midst of so much hurt and pain and your emotions are all over the place, it's then when satan knows you are at your weakest and will come at you full force to destroy you!! This is when I had to get on my knees and truly ask God to help me!! Help me make sense of what is going on in my marriage. I can truly say that because of God's grace and mercy, love and forgiveness, God has restored our marriage!! Praise God!!! He knew the desires of my heart!!!
How many areas of your life have you tried to make a true commitment on?? I've tried to stay committed to diets and exercise and so many other things in my life and I'm sure you have too, but then I always seem to get off track and just give up. It's just too much work!!!!
If I can just be honest with you once again, I am tired of my lack of commitment in so many areas of my life, but it's my commitment to God that I am determined to make stronger starting today!!! I need to have more faith and more character. As I was reading notes in my woman's study Bible it said: Commitment is Following Jesus!! The choice for us as believers ~ either we deny ourselves or deny Him; either we go His way, or we pursue our way. Commitment demands action; it cannot be divorced from responsibility. It extends beyond our relationship to the heavenly Father to other areas of life. Can I just say, I am tired of doing things my way. I'm tired of asking for God's forgiveness in areas of my life that I know I can do so much better at with His help.
One of my favorite songs that I use to sing was called ~ It's My Desire to Live for Jesus!!!
Here are some of the words: It's my desire to live for Jesus. Though often I fail Him and bring Him shame, still It's my desire to live for Him. If you could see where Jesus brought me from to where I am today, then you would know the reason why I love Him so. Now you can take this world's wealth and riches, for I don't need earths fame, Because It's My Desire to Live for Him!!!
Lord, you say in Your Word in Psalm 37:3&4 ~ Trust in the Lord, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Lord, It is my desire to be more faithful and more in love with you. To totally trust in You to guide me through every area of my life! Help me Lord starting today to make a stronger commitment to You, to my husband, to our sons and daugher in "loves", to family, our church and all the other areas in my life.
COMMITMENT ~ How's that word working for you??
What are the Desires of Your Heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment